Terms and conditions
Age requirment and drivers license.
A full drivers license must have been held for at least 12 months and must be presented at the start of the rental.
Renter must be 18 years of age to rent a vehicle.
Renter must be 25 years of age to rent Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover Defender and 7 or 9 seats vehicles.
Credit Card Imprint – Blocked amount
All rentals are subject to the full rental agreement terms and conditions at the time of rental. A credit card imprint will be taken at the start of all rentals for security reasons, even when a voucher covers the cost of the rental. This credit card imprint may be used to pay all extra charges as extra insurance, parking fines, damages or any cost due to the rented car as a result of the renters use of the car. At the start of all rentals we block the self risk 350.000 ISK unless the customer has SCDW or PiP insurance.
We reserve the right to substitute vehicles if the reserved car type is not availble, either with similar car or higher class.
We deliver the car with a full tank and the car should be returned with a full tank. If the fuel tank is less than full we will fill it up and charge for the extra fuel in addition to a small refill fee.
Local value added tax (VAT) 24% is included in all prices.
If you cancel 24 Hours or more before pick up time you get 100% refund of what you have already paid.
If you cancel 24 Hours or less before pick up time you get no refund of what you have already paid.
Normally we charge your credit card the same day you book the car. If you have a specific wish regarding payment, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Vehicle Pick up fee after damage is 350 ISK per km.
Third party liability is equivalent to the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at each time. This also applies to the amount of individual driver liability. Third party coverage and personal accident insurance is included in your rental.
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) – Included
CDW self risk is 350000 ISK
Third party liability insurance shall be equivalent to the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at the time. The lessee is fully responsible for any and all damage to the car. Normally by purchasing CDW the lessee can insure himself against the disbursement of the driver liability.
Super Collision Damage Waiver (SCDW) – Optional
SCDW will lower the lessee self risk to 50.000 ISK
The lessee is always responsible for the following damages, which are not covered by CDW or SCDW insurance: e.g. negligence, driving while intoxicated, damage to tires, headlights, wind-screen and the underside of the car, damage caused by loose rocks which get thrown at the car on gravel roads, damages to the engine of the car caused by water getting into the motor. Such damages are always the lessee’s full responsibility.
Gravel Protection (GP) – Optional
GP covers damage to windscreen, headlights and paintwork damaged by gravel that gets thrown at the vehicle by passing cars or oncoming traffic.
Own risk 0 ISK
Theft Protection (TP) – Optional
TP insures the lessee from liability should the vehicle be stolen. It is noted that in case of gross negligence on behalf of the lessee that leads to theft of the vehicle, the TP is void! Own risk 0 ISK
Sand and ash Protection (SAAP) – Optional
No regular insurance cover damage from ash or sandstorm. The damage to paint, glass and plastic parts can be very expensive to the lessee, up to 1.500.000ISK. The lessee can purchase SAAP for 1.500ISK per day to lower self risk down from full liability to 90.000ISK
Premium Insurance Package (PiP) Recommended
All insurance ( CDW- SCDW – TP – GP- SAAP) in one package for 3900 ISK per day.
Charges for damage are based on the normal market price for a quality repair using software called CABAS which is recognised by Insurance companies worldwide. It is not economical to repair every scratch and dent, and therefore we base some of our charges on the decrease in value of the car if it was sold with the damage.
Obligations of the Lessor:
- The lessee agrees to the provisions of this lease and has received a copy of it.
- The lessee will return the automobile ( At the return location listed on the rentral agreement or otherwise pay in full for transportation to the return location )
- And all accessories (including tires and tools) in the condition they were in when received, with the exception of normal wear due to use,
- On the date specified by this lease, unless otherwise agreed later,
- To the lessor’s premises, unless otherwise agreed.
- If the lessee does not return the automobile at the time agreed upon in this lease, or does not declare his intention to extend the lease, the lessor or the police are authorized to repossess the vehicle without further notice and at the lessee’s cost. Extending the lease is dependent on the consent of the lessor. If the lessee returns the vehicle 1 hour or later after the lease has expired, the lessor is authorized to demand up to 24-hours rental under the terms of this lease.
- The vehicle shall be handled and driven carefully. Only those named as drivers on the first page of this agreement are authorized to drive the automobile. The lessee is liable for damage resulting from use of the automobile for which no compensation will be paid by the vehicle’s insurance company. This includes damage to the automobile and/or injury to passengers due to the following:
- Off-road driving,
- Driving across rivers or any kind of water course,
- Intentional acts or gross negligence,
- Use of intoxicants by the driver,
- Vehicle use that contravenes Icelandic law and/or the provisions of this lease.
- In the event of a collision or accident, the lessee shall immediately notify the appropriate police authorities as well as the lessor of the incident, and the lessee may not leave the scene before the police have arrived.
- The number of kilometers (km) that the vehicle is driven while this lease is in force is determined by reading a normal odometer supplied with the vehicle by the manufacturer. The lessee shall notify the lessor as soon as possible if the odometer is out of order or stops functioning during the term of the lease.
- The lessor is not responsible for the disappearance of or damage to property that the lessee or any other party leaves in or transports with the vehicle.
- The lessee agrees to pay the lessor, upon request:
- A deposit amounting to the estimated cost of hiring the car,
- Any and all expenses incurred by the lessor if he has to bring the vehicle back to his premises, in the event that it has been left somewhere without supervision, without regard to the condition of the vehicle, the roads, or the weather.
- The lessee is not authorized to have repairs done or make changes to the vehicle or its accessories, or to put the vehicle up as any kind of security, without the prior consent of the lessor.
- The lessee is liable for all parking meter charges and fines for breaking traffic laws.
- The lessee is not authorized to use the vehicle to transport passengers for payment, loan it to others, or sublease it.
Obligations of the Lessee:
- The lessor undertakes to supply the vehicle at the agreed time and to see that it meets the demands made for it.
- If the vehicle malfunctions, the lessor shall supply the lessee with a comparable vehicle as soon as possible. If the damage is minor, the lessor is authorized to have repairs done on the vehicle after obtaining the lessee’s consent.
- The lessor shall inform the lessee of the content of this agreement, particularly as regards the obligations that the lessee undertakes by signing it.
- The lessor shall inform a foreign lessee regarding Icelandic traffic regulations, traffic signs, and regulations banning off-road driving. The lessor shall particularly point out the dangers stemming from animals on the roads.
- If the lessor wants to limit use of the vehicle with regard to its equipment and/or road conditions, this shall be done in writing when this lease is signed.
- The lessor undertakes to maintain valid liability insurance for his business operations.
- The lease sum/rental fee includes mandatory vehicle insurance, including liability insurance and accident insurance for the driver and the owner.
- Third-party liability insurance will consist of the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at any given time.
- The lessee can purchase separate accident (All-risks) insurance. This policy will specify the amount deductible in each instance of loss.
- The CDW and SCDW do not cover the following:
- Intentional damage or damage due to gross negligence on the part of the driver,
- Damage resulting from the driver being under the influence of alcohol, stimulants or sedatives, or in any other way incapable of driving the vehicle in a safe manner,
- Damage due to race or test driving,
- Damage due to war, revolution, civil unrest, riots,
- Damage done by animals,
- Holes burned into seats, carpets, or mats,
- Damage affecting only wheels, tires, suspension, batteries, glass (other than windows), radios, or loss by theft of parts of the vehicle and damage resulting from this,
- Damage caused by driving on rough roads to the vehicle’s transmission, drive, other parts that are in or attached to the chassis; damage to the chassis resulting from the vehicle scraping bottom on rough roads as a result of ridges being left by road graders; stones lodged in the road surface or on the shoulder of the road. The same applies to damage occurring when stones are thrown up, striking the underside of the vehicle during driving,
- Damage resulting from driving in places where vehicle traffic is banned, such as paths, tracks, banks of snow, ice, unbridged rivers or streams, beaches, places only accessible at low tide, or other trackless areas. However, compensation will be paid for damage if the driver is forced to leave the road, for example, due to road repairs.
- Damage caused by sand, gravel, ash, pumice, or other kinds of earth material being blown onto the vehicle.
- If the vehicle is transported by sea, no compensation will be paid for damage caused by sea spray/seawater.
- In other instances, reference is made to the general conditions for CDW and SCDW insurance.
- The lessee may purchase special Gravel protection (GP), Theft protection (TP).
No insurance covers the damage or loss of extra equipment like for example kitchen utensils, sleeping bags, chairs, tables, roof box, GPS or WiFi box!
- This lease agreement shall always be kept in the vehicle during the term of the lease.
- Additions and amendments to the conditions and provisions of this lease agreement shall be made in writing.
- Icelandic law applies to agreements made on the basis of the terms cited above. This includes any claims for compensation that might be made. This applies both to the basis for and the calculation of compensation. The same applies to claims for damages based on liability outside this agreement. If legal disputes arise concerning this lease agreement, they will be heard before the lessor’s legal venue.
- It should be pointed out that disputes between the parties to this lease agreement can be submitted to the active Arbitration committee of the Icelandic Consumers Association and the Icelandic Travel Industry Association.